14 March 2007

Memories courtesy of Michael Yon.

The latest post from the amazing blog-god, Michael Yon, has brought a LOT of memories bubbling back to the surface of my twisted little mind.

"....watching full moons rise and fall over the cities, hearing dogs bark in the night. Maybe the distinct POP will puncture the darkness...."

We were sitting on the roof of our hooch at the edge of the IZ, FOB Highlander (before 3rd ID gave it a gay name), just inside of check point 12. Beautiful base. So we were sitting around, smokin' and jokin', when there was a metric butt load of tracers come zipping over our little heads.

Looking forward to capping some insurgent ass, we run downstairs and grab our muskets.

Mind you, we were in bath robes, shower shoes, and shorts smoking our stale hadji marlboros.

We grab our gear and perch ourselves on the outer wall of our building, over looking "Indian Country".

We watched the IPs chase a car full of bad guys around outside our FOB. They were just coming into our kill zone, when the damn IPs chased them the other way.

But I will never forget the air. The cool breeze and the smell of stale smokes. The mosque tower belting out some call to prayer recording. I'd heard it every night for about the last 3 weeks. I began to sing along with it. My team crouched along the little wall. I'm wearing a t-shirt, shorts and my bath robe. Locked and loaded, peering down my ACOG waiting for the car to come close enough to unload on them. We were all smiling at each other with the thought of bagging some bad guys.

It was not to be.

Maybe it was for the best.

But it was one of the best times of my life. I'm looking forward to going back.

JB2D out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While NOT a Web Site Owner, I am former Military, and a daily reader of so many great blogs from our service people. You just posted a very deserved "high five" to Micheal Yon. Great move. I wish you all the very best with your next deployment and hope that you can continue to participate in our bloggers world with such outstanding bloggers such as Micheal.
Best of everything
Swede Nelson