21 March 2007

My first real flash back since coming home.

Well, it's official. I had my first flash back.

We are currently having a HUGE thunderstorm in North East Wisconsin. I'm at work and my co-worker Josh told me it was "dumping" rain out. I had to see what "dumping rain" looks like. So we proceeded to the side door of the station. I just begin to open the door when "KRACK-BOOOOOOM!"

All that registered was IED!

I slammed the door shut, turned to Josh and asked if he was hit. He looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my forehead.

Then it registered. It's only a thunderstorm. Not an IED. I'm in Wisconsin. Not in Baghdad.

He will not stop laughing. I can't either. And not because it was funny.

JB2D out.

EDIT: I should mention that I've been home for almost 2 years now. I get a little jumpy, but it's kinda the way I am now. I was never in any huge/major combat operation. I was rocket-ed a couple times, mortared more than my fair share, hit in the face with half a cinder block (courtesy of some high school aged boys), and hadji DID try to nail me with an IED. But I'll post about that a little later, when I can get the video of it posted over at YouTube.com. I never traveled down Haifa Street, although I did drive across it a lot. So, I realize that I should say something to the doctor at the VA about it, but what right do I have to complain of a little jumpiness when there are men and women coming home with stumps where there were appendages a few months previous?

JB2D out.

3 comments:

Anthony said...

Yikes...might wanna get a check up. Could be the beginning signs of some PTSD problems.

Flashbacks aren't like scars, girls don't dig 'em.

Anyway, great block you got going over here. Looking forward to reading more.

Duffy said...

Ha!

Last year we had a friend over (who shall remain nameless) for a local festival which included fireworks (you see where this is going). He was only back about 2 weeks so he hadn't found his drinking legs yet. He's in a lawn chair half dozing and rather drunk. The show starts and he yell "INCOMING!", rolls out of the lawnchair and low crawls it under the picnic table yelling "BUNKERS! BUNKERS! BUNKES!"

I tried not to laugh. He (eventually) thought it was funny.

Anonymous said...

As a nurse who has cared for many WIA the physical wounds are the easiest to treat and care for. The emotional scars, the flashbacks, the nightmares, the hyperviligant state, that many, if not all veterans return home with, can be just as wounding as losing an arm, leg, or an eye. Those emotional scars cause us to suffer in silence because we think there is something wrong with us. When in fact our reactions are exceedingly normal responses to very abnormal situations. And there is nothing funny about those responses. There is plenty of information to be found about these reactions on the following websites
http://ptsdresources.org/
http://www.pdhealth.mil/reservist/families.asp
http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/index.jsp
Sincerely,
Clara Hart, RN